19, 1895 a fire which started in the Harper and Cecil Livery stable
on North Caddo (A st. NE.) almost completely consumed the young
City of Ardmore. In a wake of this tragedy the Ardmore Fire Department
was founded as a 25 member volunteer fire department and the first
horse drawn steam pumper engine was purchased for $1,800.00.
operation of the department changed little until 1915 when a railroad
car load of casing head gas exploded in the downtown rail yard destroying
much of downtown Ardmore.
event marked the beginning of growth for the Ardmore Fire Department.
Since 1915 the department has seen many advances in technology,
training and equipment.
Ardmore Fire Department now operates out of three fire stations
strategically located throughout the city and 24 hours a day, 365
days a year, stands ready to serve the citizens of Ardmore.