The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, highly toxic gas that is undetectable to the human senses. Because of this, victims may become disoriented and unable to call for help or to get out.
- Inspect and service heating and cooling systems.
- keep fireplace flue open for adequate ventilation and until embers are completely burned out
- Examine chimneys and vents
- Never install or operate gas burning appliances, furnaces or water heaters in unventilated enclosures.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating the home
- Check water heaters for improper burner adjustments
- Check flame for a good blue flame
- Never use unventilated appliances (Heaters, Lanterns, etc.) in sleeping areas
- Do not store propane tanks indoors
- Even with the doors open do not use BBQ grills indoors
- Never use generators indoors always have them on the exterior of the home
- Keep generators and all gas powered equipment away from windows and doors
- Never sit in a vehicle idling with the windows up
- Never leave vehicle idling in garage without garage door open and well ventilated
- Never leave your child in a vehicle idling
- Have exhausted system checked for leaks and damage
- If you smell any fumes or unusual smells have vehicle checked
- Never allow anyone to ride in the back of an enclosed pickup truck.
- Stay away from any watercraft exhaust
- Never sit on or hang out on swim platforms if the motor is running
- Have annual inspections on boat exhaust
- Know the proper safety procedures relating to houseboats
- Install a working carbon monoxide detector
For more information NFPA Web site